Review Guidelines + Applications
Because SmartSimple will help streamline the application process, several components and templates from previous years have changed. Please review the guidelines and application instructions carefully before you begin preparing your materials.
SmartSimple is the online grant management software for Arts Midwest. All applicants will use SmartSimple to apply for and manage their Arts Midwest grants. If applicants have never logged in to the system before they will need to register.
Go to Smart Simple
On the next screen, click the most appropriate registration option for your organization
- Most applicants should choose “Registered Non-Profit Organization.” The following instructions will apply to users who select this category. All other users will receive instructions in the system as they proceed through the registration process.
- Look up the Nonprofit Organization by entering in the Organization’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) then click “Search”. You can also search an organization by its name. Tip: the best way to look up is to enter the EIN only.
Complete the organization’s information and the contact information
- Some of the fields will auto populate from the IRS database cannot be edited at this time (but they can be edited once you log in, if needed).
- Please double check all of the information is current and correct.
- Please add your information in the User Information section below on the page.
- Once all the information is entered, click “Submit”
Initial registration is complete
- You should receive an email at the address you provided to activate your account
Additional contacts for your organization may register using these same steps, but we recommend adding grant writers and persons external to your organization as “collaborators” on an application. This can be done once you login and start an application. When you are in an application, look to the left sidebar to find the “Collaborators” option and follow the on-screen instructions. People you add as Collaborators will need to register in the system if they haven’t already.
Setting Up Your Profile Instructions
Once the registration process is complete, you will receive an email with login instructions. The first thing you will want to do when you log in is update the password. Please make a note of it. Arts Midwest is unable to retrieve the password but we can help you reset it, if needed.
After you login you will come to the home screen. The first thing you will want to complete is the “Organization Profile” and “My Profile” in the “Your Information” section at the top. Use this set of instructions as a guide, there are also tips within the system to help you along the way. If you feel stuck at any time, feel free to call or email Arts Midwest for assistance.
To begin the process, click on the “Organization Profile.” This will need to be filled out completely so the information will be pulled into any applications you start.
Please only enter your mailing address in the address field. The address that is present here initially is from the IRS lookup which you completed during the registration process. Once you make updates, click “Save” at the bottom of your screen.
To begin the process, click on “My Profile.” Complete the contact information form. Many lines will have auto-filled from the registration process.
Using the Arts Midwest Grants Portal
Once the profile information is complete, click on the “Home” button, located in the upper right corner of your screen. From this screen, you can access your account information, view grant opportunities, edit draft applications, submit reports, and communicate with Arts Midwest staff.
The “Applications” section provides a list of available grant programs you may be eligible for. To begin an application, simply click the “Funding Opportunities” tile. Be sure to download the program guidelines, read them carefully, and begin the process early. If you already started an application or want to check the status of an application, click on the “In Progress” tile.
Have questions about Smart Simple?
We’re happy to answer any questions you have about using Smart Simple. Our team is just an email or a phone call away.Contact our Team